By Sid Chadwick
“The buck stops here…..”…..Harry S. Truman
On a recent CEO Peer Group Conference Call, our Agenda requested Members to share what they were doing differently in 2022 - with newly hired employees – to improve both hiring and retention of employees, especially new employees.
Results of these discussions also showed improved revenues - and margins….!
One CEO member, who’s known for personally attending to issues requiring change in his company (of well-over 400 employees) – got everyone’s attention when he shared:
- “We learned that some of our long-term employees were not welcoming new employees….”
- “A few of our long term employees were not proactively sharing job-related information - that would be helpful to a new employee….”
- We stepped-up communicating what we expected of our company community – for assisting our new fellow employees to become a meaningful part of what we stand for, including what values and initiatives - are expected.
- We also doubled-up what was expected of assigned mentors, and then followed-up to make sure those details are happening – with a genuine sense of goodwill.
- Productivity changes per shift and department – were reported to front-line new and long-term personnel – weekly.
You might ask, "Were there any changes in results…?"
Results measured – and observed:
- Quality of applicants – noticeably improved - over the last 4-6 months.
- Number of short-term hires leaving in 1st 30-90 days – dramatically reduced.
- Productivity per employee hour worked – noticeably improved.
- A number of long-term and new employees who had left – returned…!
- We started doing a better job of checking competitors’ pay and benefits – and matching similar grades of skill.
Note: We had invested in air-conditioning our three Plants - over the two previous years – something our competitors had not done. Clearly, we had an “edge” re. “Benefits ”- that was paying off.
Pay and benefits - are important.
But a “Positive Atmosphere” and “Genuine Goodwill” – are impossible to fake – or compensate - with only pay.
Do your homework – and don’t just “play” with good suggestions and ideas. Put them into action….and follow-up – always.
If your 1st suggestion needs to change – then change it.
A great workforce tends to lead to increased revenues – and improved margins…!
“All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”……..Edmund Burk