TECH THOUGHT NO. 2
By Raymond J. Prince
There are many reasons for a strong trend toward UV for sheetfed
The major drivers are:
- Instant cure.
- High gloss.
- Smooth dull coatings.
- High rub resistance.
- Good ink adhesion.
- Ability to print on many plastics.
Now, let’s consider some frequently overlooked benefits when
discussing UV or hybrid UV:
- Little or no spray powder is required.
- Less spray powder means electrical components will last
- Less delivery maintenance.
- Longer press life.
- Brilliant process color on uncoated stock.
- Excellent black-and-white halftones.
Going full UV or hybrid UV depends on many factors. You must match
the technology with the product, the customer and the plant. This
is not a simple decision—avoid cookie cutter answers.
The old stigma of UV is gone today, the printed stock can be
recycled and many consider the technology to be a
“green” technology due to virtually no retained